An oldie but still good:
A professor explained about marketing to MBA students.
- You see a gorgeous girl at a party, you go to her and say I am rich, marry me. That’s direct marketing.
- You attend a party and your friend goes to the girl to tell her, he’s rich, marry him. That’s advertising.
- The same girl at the party walks to you and says, you’re rich, do you want to marry me? That’s brand recognition.
- You say I’m rich, marry me and she introduces you to her husband. That’s the demand and supply gap.
- Before you say I’m rich, marry me, your wife arrives. That’s restriction from entering a new market.